Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Links to resources for Western Legal History

Things are a bit slow news-wise for Canadian Legal History, as for other types of history, and it's not even the dog-days of summer. Puppy days, I guess.

So a good time to do a post on some links sent me a while ago by Sarah Hamill of the University of Alberta Faculty of Law (thanks again, Sarah!)

Hi Mary,

Here are some links that might be of interest for you in regard to western legal history
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/index.html 

This is a subscription site but perhaps you could mention it to a librarian! http://www.newspaperarchive.com/
I checked out the sites she suggests. The law section of Our Future Our Past is great--much better than Early Canadiana Online (though kudos to the latter, which has improved of late. Still a ways to go, unfortunately.)

The other sites are not law-focused, but that is just as well for the purposes of students of legal pluralism--since legal pluralists find law everywhere, the more ostensibly non-legal the sources the better. I was quite impressed by the digital images available through the Our Future Our Past site. And the Peel Library site which Sarah recommends is even more drool-worthy, especially for Ontario-ists. The images seem of excellent quality and very searchable, unlike the Globe and Mail Heritage site, for example.

1 comment:

  1. I've had good luck with Early Canadiana on federal legislative issues in the late 19th Century, but not much luck on my provincial (Nova Scotian) research in the 1920s - the legislative debates, journals, etc., are just not up. Or rather, they are up, but stop suddenly at 1867.

    I keep saying that in five or ten years, as everything is digitized, I'll be able to do the research I've been doing much more effectively in about a third of the time. In the meantime, I suppose I'll just have to keep looking at things on microfilm or making trips to archives.

    ReplyDelete